Monday, September 3, 2007

First Sunday in a new Ward

So when Sunday morning rolled around I was actually a little excited to go on this grand adventure as I had started to think of it. I had high hopes for our new ward but I forgot to prepare for the fact that well they just were not Ann Arbor. Our new church doesn't have pews which shouldn't be an issue I mean going to church is not about the material things but I panicked thinking how am I going to keep my kids contained! Behind us sat a very nice family who I never did get the name of with two boys and a little girl. When Ethan started getting a little routy the boys started to play with him and we made it threw another 15 mins. They even gave Daniel a little stuffed zebra which he clutched like it was the best thing on the face of the planet. The problem came when it was discovered that the boys had not asked there little sister who's zebra it happened to be if they could share it so she was crying and when I took it away from Daniel to give to the little girl he completely lost it. Note to self take stuffed animal with us next week. So I went in the hall with Daniel...bad side the speakers are not as good as Ann Arbor and there just isn't as much space since it's a small building. There were a group of little girls playing out there who enjoyed paying attention to Daniel so all went well for at least 5 mins until Ethan joined. It was at this point that I wanted to hide in the car. So there is no closet just a bunch of coat hangers against one wall well Ethan loves hangers don't ask me why the kid is STRANGE. Anyhow he throws a fit because the hangers won't come off the bar and I'm thinking good you can't run off with them. He then proceeds to use the hanger to glide the length of the bar like a zip line. After this little treat he decides to hide under the entryway rug. When I pull said kid out from under rug he starts to scream bloody murder and I wanted to die on the spot. Thankfully that's when Sacrament meeting ended and we cheerfully went to nursery. Now here is a really great part of the day Ethan loved his new nursery! He was so excited to play and to be honest I think without all his close buds he got a lot more out of the lesson. He was so excited to show me the picture he colored and tell me about nursery after church! It was great. Usually all I can get out of him is I played with the bubbles. Sunday school went ok with the exception of well it was Daniels nap time so he was a little hard to deal with. I also learned that Ann Arbor spoiled me with Sunday school lessons I now need to actually read the lesson before Sunday to get as much out of it. Probably not a bad thing to motivate me. RS was well different. This is the part that made me homesick for my old ward. It was nothing like my old ward and I guess it's not really fair to compare the two but I really miss the ann arbor RS. Next week will be better though. My kids will not go crazy. I will be better prepared to deal with them. I will actually get something out of the lessons. Ok well that's my goal at least. Overall the people I meet are really nice but it doesn't feel like home yet. I guess that will take a while. It still feels like this is the right thing to do it's just going to take me a while to get used to all the change.

3 comments:

k said...

I'm sorry you had to leave the ward :( But good for you by being brave, and it will get easier. By the way, I must thank you again for the pics that I love so much :) Keep up the good work and make lots of other people happy with their pictures! Congrats on the new camera too. Lucky!

Janie said...

We will totally miss you in our ward :( Every ward has great people you will find them all soon and love it there. Good Luck!

Jenny said...

So, huge reality check for me too. There aren't many wards out there that have the great speakers, teachers, and RS like our Ann Arbor ward. I always read the relief society lesson that Andrea does every week to get my fill. I'm sure soon enough it will fill like home (I'm still working on that!) and I think you will love the fact that people aren't always moving away!