Thursday, April 12, 2007

Insomnia

I should be sleeping right now but I just can't seem to find the ability to do so. All the men in my house are peacefully snoring away but no not I. I'm here staring at a computer screen since I can't turn my brain off. You know if anyone ever invents an off switch for the brain I think I might be first in line. It's not like I'm thinking of anything that can't wait until tomorrow when the boys are awake and I have to be anyhow. No right now I'm sitting here thinking were almost out of milk I've got to remember to get that tomorrow or the next day we won't have milk for cereal. And did I remember to bring in the trashcan or is it still out next to the road. Sometimes I just need a mute button cause if I could just get my brain to shut up for 5 seconds I could go to sleep. If you haven't guessed I suffer (hmm maybe suffer isn't quite the right word but I'm not sure what the right word is plagued maybe) by insomnia. I don't think there can be anything more annoying than insomnia well except maybe a bad haircut. So what do they tell you to do about insomnia get out of bed so you don't get so frustrated with the fact that you can't sleep and compound the problem. Only problem with that is I tend to do really weird things at night when I can't sleep...mop my floor at 3 in the morning with the stereo going until my husband comes down stairs and say "honey are you ok" because I'm singing along to veggie tales...ok so it was left in the stereo from my kids and I was to lazy to change it. Besides if you've ever been up at 3 and doing some simple task it’s always good to have background noise otherwise you start talking to you self or the wall. So anyhow this bog is hopefully a more sane way for me to deal with my sleep issues and maybe if I write about my life I'll see a little more humor in some of the things my two year old does.

Two year olds are the most wonderful and exasperating creatures on the earth. I love my son with all my heart but there are moments when I really wish he were someone else’s child. To give you an example of this my son has an obsession with our fireplace. He has always love fire a trait he gets from his father but it's been taken to a new level this week as he has turned into cinderfella. No that's nothing like the movie. Let me explain while I was changing my 7 month olds diaper the 2 year old decided that it would be great fun to play in the fireplace. At first it was just a finger that edged its way in just to test the area and see if it was safe. Then a large gust of air flew in and as he discovered that the ashes would move around quite readily. I will not bore you with the details of that clean up but as I was trying to get this mess under control he found the baking powder that I had left on the counter from an earlier project. He proceeded to dump large amounts of said substance on the floor so that he could run threw it and make footprints on the rest of the floor. Then he discovered you can slide threw it and its really fun...it was at this point that I turned around and stopped his fun. He was sentence to time out again. A short time latter while feeding the seven month old I hear giggling coming from the kitchen area which is were our fire place is but decide he's not hurting him self I'll let it go and maybe its not bad right. To make a long story short he was in the fireplace again and had dumped a large amount on the floor. Figuring he would get in trouble for this he had gotten the broom and dust pan out and tried to clean things up resulting in the opposite effect. We have also had ashes sifted in a flour sifter as he ran threw our house this week.... in case anyone is wondering the fire place is now I hope cleared of all forms of ash. In retro speck it really is quite amusing and I suppose if I had cleaned out the fireplace instead of waiting for my husband to do it we wouldn't have had so many incidents but as they say hindsight is 20/20

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow. What a nightmare. I can only imagine your frustration. Yesterday Abby dropped and spilled a 5 lb bag of sugar. I'm still working on the sticky floors. No fun! But yes, I suppose humor can be found when all is said and done.

The Cherry Family said...

Maybe Ethan is more like Cinderella's cat, Lucifer. He jumped in the dust while Cinderella was mopping the floor and put paw prints ALL over the floor while she was unaware. "You mean ol' cat!" :)