Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lessons Learned











Some pictures from this week. The first is of Cora and the second of Grant when they came over on Saturday to play. The last is of River a new arrival in the Holman family also taken on Saturday.

A few things my children have taught me since last I wrote:

1.) Don't turn your back on the child in the tub. This is for two reasons the first of which is Daniel has learned to crawl out of the tub and will do so if I stop paying attention. The second reason for this is Ethan has decided to soak me if I stop paying attention to him in order to get my attention.

2.) Sometimes it's ok to give in. On Mother's Day Ethan melted down because he didn't want to wear ANY cloths and he wanted to eat outside. It was only 65 and we didn't want him to get cold but after half an hour of hearing him sob his little heart out we decided to just give in on this one. We did make him put on a diaper but he was allowed to come outside and eat with us. You would think he would get cold and go back in learning his lesson but no he sat there shivering and eating. Once he was done he carried his plate inside and didn't ask to go outside again that night.

3.) Enjoy your siblings. Ethan and Daniel have learned to play together. Ethan will push Daniel around the house in his walker and both boys will crack up laughing. Ethan will also push cars just out of Daniel reach so that Daniel will chase him.

4.) Bask in the ability to stand for not everyone can. Daniel is pulling up on everything, and I do mean everything! He has started doing things like pulling up on the fridge then will look over at me with the biggest smile as if to say look mom I did it aren't you proud.

5.) Knowledge can be a scary thing. I discovered this week that Ethan has a real knack for memorizing things and it's really scary for me as a parent. This week we went to the library and got some new books came home and read them. An hour latter Ethan picked up one of the books and read it to me word for word. It was a simple book but still I was pretty impressed. I worry that I won't know what to do to challenge him. I also really worry that the boy is to smart for his own good. The people I know who are the most unhappy with life happen to be the smartest people I know so this worries me a little.

2 comments:

k said...

i LOVE the picture of Cora. it's so beautiful. i'm partial to the black and white pictures, too.

An said...

I love the picture of Cora.