Monday, December 10, 2007

Dr Visit gone wrong

So this afternoon after several really bad coughing fits and a lecture from one of my sisters I decided to call my Dr's office. Luck would have it that they could see me today in less than an hour from when I called. So I packed up the kids and off we went. Danny ended up falling asleep right before I got there so I figured my hopes for a peaceful wait were pretty much out the window. I managed to get inside without waking him up but receptionist asked me a few questions and the sound of my voice talking woke him up. Now it probably wouldn't have been to bad if I had been called back when I was suppose to but we ended up spending almost an hour waiting in the waiting room. This is not a Dr office equipped to handle kids mind you...no toys just magazines and a very pretty Christmas tree with glass ornaments. Ethan was very taken with the Christmas tree and had to go look at it. Danny followed and tried to take ornaments off the tree. I retrieved my children and tried to distract them with the cars we had brought along. This did no work at all. I tired to read the a story we brought with us. This also did not work. Ethan discovered the older gentleman sitting with his wife in the corner and proceeded to ask me all kinds of questions about said man. The one that sticks in my memory is "Mom is that my grandpa?" To which I told him no but it was probably someones grandpa. Ethan then wanted to go see the older man who just smiled and laughed. Thank goodness for people who enjoy crazy kids. Danny then discovered the radio in the waiting room and all its wondrous buttons. I then tackled the task of removing Danny from said radio which involved a whole of screaming and crying. I'm pretty sure half the waiting room suddenly started to shift away from us at this point and I can't say I blame them. Next came the water cooler. Ethan got him self a drink which was fine but then Danny had to explore. Several drinks of water for both boys latter I was ready to hog tie them. Ethan seeing my temper rising decided this would be a great time to start playing with the tree again resulting in the rearrangement of several items while I delt with Danny. After getting Ethan under control again Danny decided to crawl under the chairs. Fishing one kid out from under the chairs the other decided to take advantage of my distraction to run around the whole room giggling hysterical. At this point I was pretty sure going to the Dr was a bad idea no matter how sick you are. Ethan then made a tunnel out of the chairs and had Danny chance him threw and around it. I merely tried to catch the two of them and looked totally ridiculous. Danny then decided to push chairs around the waiting room. After fixing the chairs I was on the verge of saying you know I just can't deal with this and I'm going home to my bed and my Pajamas and cartoons when they finally called me back. The nurse who called me back was great and had it not been for her I'm pretty sure I would not have made it threw the visit. She was very understanding of the fact I had two boys who did not want to be there and were bored out of there minds. So Ethan got to take my temperature, and blood pressure. Which shockly was elevated and my heart rate was up as well. She then had Ethan help her with a few other little things she had to do. Ethan got to go get stickers for being such a good helper and he was so proud of himself. After the nurse left and we had to wait in this little room for the Dr the insanity returned. Danny tried to get in the drawer with all the needle stuff in it. Ethan pulled the stirrups out of the table. Gold Fish crackers were spread over all the floor etc. When the Nurse practitioner came in (in hopes of getting me out of there sooner) she had a look of complete horror on her face. She tried to talk to me about other health issues while I was wresting with the kids until I said look can we make this as quick as we can we need to get out of here. Ends up I have bronchitis. I have never been so happy to leave a Dr office in my life. I never want to have to take my kids to the Dr with me again!!! I can't wait until Jared gets home from Japan.

1 comment:

Jana said...

LOL!! I totally can relate to you. When I was pregnant with Ellie, I had to take Jackson and Noah with me and it was HORRIBLE!!!! Imagine how pleasant the last few visits were. You know, the intimate ones. :) I can't help but laugh at your story. Ahhhh, kids.